Making lists not only saves me time, it also increases my productivity and helps me to remember to get the car washed every now and again. Trying to remember 100 pieces of information on a daily basis, can be so straining and exhausting, that’s why you need lists in your life…
I must confess, I love making lists. I have made hundreds of lists over the past few years, but today I would like to focus on 5 specific lists that have helped me to manage our home and keep me more organized.
There are so many benefits of list-making, but I would like to point out just a few:
- Your thoughts will be less cluttered. Just like decluttering your home, your thoughts also need to be decluttered from time to time. Luckily, this can be done by keeping these 5 simple lists.
- You will save time. Yes, it is possible to save time with the right lists, because you are not frantically running around wondering what you need to do the whole time. We all need a little structure in our lives.
- Batching will become your friend. By making lists, you will be able to see what tasks you can do together, thus leading you to save more time and energy. For example, getting your car washed while you are at the gym.
- You can delegate more. This is something we should do way more often. If I know I won’t be able to handle a certain task on my to-do list, I ask my hubby to help me out. Or I would ask my mother to help. There are always people in our lives that would be more than willing to help, use them!! But also, be careful not to take advantage of them, find a balance.
- You will have more peace of mind. Think of all of those tasks and dreams, you don’t have to remember anymore… Ah, just thinking about how I don’t have to remember stuff anymore, makes me breathe so much easier.
There are so many other benefits of keeping lists, but without further ado, let us dive into 5 of my favorite lists to help me manage our home and keep me more organized.
// 5 LISTS THAT CAN MAKE LIFE EASIER //
- Master To-Do List. Your master to-do list exists to do a brain dump, whenever you think of something, just add it to your master to-do list. As simple as that. This will help you to get those ongoing thoughts and ideas out of your head and onto paper, which in turn will help you to remember them for the future. If you try to keep all those thoughts and brilliant ideas in your head, you might end up losing them at the end of the day. Always have this list handy.
- Categorized To-Do List. This list is an extension of the master to-do list, where you will sort out all your thoughts and ideas in a more cohesive way. Go through your master list and delegate each to-do to a category. Create categories that suit your lifestyle, be creative and have fun. Here you also get the opportunity to filter your master to-do list and delegate tasks accordingly.
For example, for my master to do list I wrote “Collect a book I ordered from the bookstore”, then I take that to do and add it to my categorized list “Personal Errands”. Now I know the next time I am going to the store to swing by the bookstore and pick up my book.
- Shopping List. Keep one on your fridge. Whenever you think of something you should buy, write it down. If you see you are using the last of an item, write it down. It will make your trips to the grocery store, so much easier and you can save money in the process. This is one of the tips that I have learned from my mother, whilst growing up and it works like a charm.
- Wish List. A shopping list is for all your general needs like groceries and toiletries. A wish list is more for the things that you really want, but can’t afford right away. The bigger items. For example, my hubby and I are busy upgrading the interior of our house, but we have a limited budget – so every time I think of something we can do to make our little apartment cozier, I add it to our wish list. Every month we buy 1 or 2 items off the wish list and voila it’s not a wish anymore ;)
- My Dreams List. We all have dreams, why not put them all in one place for quick and easy reference. In this way, when something changes, it is so easy to update the list and you will be more encouraged to reach your dreams.
There you have it, 5 lists that will make your life easier. If you are not a list maker, just opt to write stuff down. At the end of the day, your mind will be freed to focus on the things that are really important in life.
What are those lists that you can’t live without? I would love to hear from you, feel free to leave a comment below!
I’m a 20-something city girl, with a passion for helping people to organize their lives. I am totally crazy about my husband, chocolates, cats and coffee. I love writing about anything that can simplify your life, so that you can enjoy the important stuff like family.