I must admit, over these past few weeks, I have felt so overwhelmed with all the stuff that must get done – building our marriage, keeping our home clean, growing my blog and business, making time for friends and family, this list can go on and on…
I constantly battle with my emotions and fears, trying to live up to some sort of invisible standard that I will never be able to achieve. All these feelings and emotions drove me to a point of paralyzation, where I would just do nothing in order to avoid everything. That is probably one of the most counter-productive things to do in this situation, not only does this waste precious time, it also spills into every other area of our lives. It’s TOXIC.
This past couple of days, I really had to do introspection and challenge myself to get back on track and find ways get over all my fears, shame, and emotions and move forward. An intervention was needed. Here are 10 simple practices that worked for me, I really hope that you too can find them helpful in a time when you feel paralyzed and overwhelmed.
// 10 SIMPLE WAYS TO FEEL LESS OVERWHELMED //
- Take a step back from the situation. This list is not in a step-by-step order, but I would suggest in any overwhelming situation that, the first thing you do is to take a step back. A step back can mean a number of things, like closing your computer and putting away your smartphone or taking a walk outside – if your house is in total chaos or just taking a shower. Whatever step you decide to take, make sure it is away from the thing that’s overwhelming you. This will help clear your mind and give you a chance to breathe.
- Have quiet time and pray. After taking a step back, take a few minutes to be quiet and pray to God to give you peace and quiet your heart. We can only experience the power of God if we allow Him to work in our hearts. He is above all problems and situations that we face, but we need to trust that He will be able to bring peace and healing.
- Grab a cup of your favorite drink. Yes, this is also important. It probably won’t solve your problems, but it does take your mind off things, if only for a little while.
- Analyse where you are now. Take stock of where you are at this very moment. Why do you feel overwhelmed? What makes you feel that way? What emotions am I facing right now? Where is the problem area and what can I do to fix it? These are critical questions to ask yourself at this time. Go deep and identify the root of the problem.
- Get a new perspective from a family member or friend. Most of the time when I am overwhelmed, I tend to think that I am the only one going through these emotions. I feel alone and isolated. In that case, make a coffee date with a friend or phone someone that can encourage you and lift your spirits. We all need support and there is always someone out there that will be more than willing to help and give guidance. Just reach out, get a new perspective – sometimes people have awesome ideas and ways to deal with whatever you’re facing.
- Write a letter of forgiveness. This might sound strange, but it really does work if you give it a try. In some situations, we are so angry and frustrated towards a certain person that cause pain and hurt, that it consumes our entire lives. We need to forgive and move on, ultimately we are not holding that person back that did the harm, we are only holding ourselves back.
// HOW IT WORKS // Take a piece of paper and write everything you ever wanted to say to that specific person, write about how they make you feel, what they did to hurt you etc. When you are done, read your writings and at the end of your letter write that you FORGIVE THEM FOR EVERYTHING that they have done against you. Write it out a few times, until you feel that weight lifted off your shoulders. Take the letter and burn it in a fire or shred it or throw it away. NOBODY IS MEANT TO SEE IT EXCEPT YOU.
To read more about forgiveness, click here.
- Make a list of every single thing that must be done (to make you feel less overwhelmed). Get it all out, even if it takes 30 minutes or more. Just write everything you must do, want to do or maybe things you don’t want to do, whatever it is, write it down. This will also help you get a perspective of where you are. When you have finished your list, move to point 8.
- Identify 3-5 of the most important things to do first. Then set a timer, start at the top and work your way through those important tasks. Once you are done, choose the next batch and do this until you reach a point where things are back to some sort of normal. This will be difficult and it takes effort, but it’s totally worth it in the end.
- Ask for help. Besides from getting a new perspective and making to-do lists, ask someone for help. We all have people in our lives that are more than willing to help us. Also, be creative in the type of help that you seek. For example, if you are a stay at home mom, but the house is a mess and it’s nearly impossible to clean with the little ones around – ask granny (if available) to babysit while you take a few hours to clean and declutter. This way gran gets to spend time with the kids and you get a few hours to clean. It’s a win-win.
- Reward yourself for the small victories. We are sometimes in a certain situation because we feel underappreciated or used. Whenever you have done something awesome, celebrate it in your own unique way. Have a cup of hot chocolate, watch an episode of your favorite series, arrange a coffee date with a friend, or go for a walk, whatever it is, LEARN TO APPRECIATE YOURSELF and CELEBRATE YOUR VICTORIES.
I really hope that this post will inspire you to relieve some of the everyday life pressures and paralyzation that we sometimes face. These 10 simple ways to feel less overwhelmed, has helped me so much in my life and I wish the same for you.
What do you do when you feel overwhelmed? Feel free to comment below, I would love to hear from you.
I’m a 20-something city girl, with a passion for helping people to organize their lives. I am totally crazy about my husband, chocolates, cats and coffee. I love writing about anything that can simplify your life, so that you can enjoy the important stuff like family.